Windows Server Fundamentals (2012 R2, or 2016)
£495 + VAT
Designed for staff who are new to server environments and server management, this course crams all the basics into a 2 day course to get them up to speed.
From installing servers, to provisioning roles and Active Directory management, our Windows Server Fundamentals Masterclass pulls no punches as we whistle-stop tour all the main technologies an on-premises Windows Server 2012 or 2016 based datacentre uses. Expect lots of tips, demos and automation examples along the way as well as hands-on lab exercises to re-affirm skills learned.
This course is intended for people new to server management, but who have existing support skills and a familiarity with networking and working in client/server environment.
Day 1: Server Fundamentals
Introduction to Windows Server
- Server Management
- Learn about which tools can be used to manage Windows Server, including; Server Manager, PowerShell, Services, Event Viewer, Performance Monitor.
- Core Services
- Learn how to manually add/remove key services used on a typical network, and also to do so with automation.
- Server Virtualisation
- Learn how to implement Hyper-V, create virtual machines, add virtual machine storage, and configure virtual networks.
- Securing Servers
- Learn how to configure the Windows Firewall, and audit settings.
- Network Troubleshooting Tools
- Ping, nslookup, ipconfig, netstats, tracert.
- Scheduling Tasks
- Task scheduler, PowerShell jobs.
Day 2: Identity Management, Group Policy and Access Control
- Learn about the logical and physical structures in Active Directory
- Learn how to manage AD with various tools.
- Domain Controllers and Member Servers
- Learn how to create domain controllers and how member servers relate to AD.
- Diagnosing AD
- Learn which tools can assist in diagnosing replication and health issues such as DCDiag and Replmon, and the Best Practices Analyser.
- Understanding Group Policy
- Learn how GPOs apply and how to influence the flow of policies.
- Learn how local group policy works with AD-based policies
- Diagnosing and Troubleshooting Group Policy
- Learn how to understand which policies apply to a computer and how to refresh policy on one or more computers.
- Sharing Folders
- Learn about shares, share security and NTFS permissions.
- Leverage AD groups to assign access to shared resources.